Canvas is here to stay, and you should learn some tips and tricks to get the most out of the EMU app that gets you what you need to know about your classes. As part of a continuing series on how to make Canvas work for you, did you know you can change your email preferences. You can get an email every time a professor changes an assignment or uploads documents, or reminders of when assignments are due. This can be great for a busy student on the go looking to organize.
How do I set my Notification Preferences?
Canvas recently introduced a new page design called the New Canvas User Interface (UI). This lesson may include two images for specific steps to show the difference between the two designs. Unless otherwise indicated, the functionality and location of the components remain the same. The view available to you is determined by your institution.
Canvas includes a set of default notification preferences for your account. However, you can set your own Canvas notification preferences that connect with your linked web services and other contact methods in in your Profile and User Settings.
- These settings apply to all of your courses; you cannot change settings for individual courses.
- The Canvas by Instructure Android app supports setting notification preferences. However, setting preferences inside the app will override preferences in the browser version of Canvas, and some preferences are not supported. Learn about setting preferences in the Canvas app for Android phones and Android tablets.
Open User Settings
In the Help Corner, click the Settings link.
Open Notifications in New Canvas UI
If you are using the New Canvas User Interface (UI), in Global Navigation, click the Account link , then click the Notifications link .
In User Navigation, click the Notifications link.
Edit Notification Preferences
To change a notification for a contact method, hover over the notification type you want to change.
- Select the Check mark icon to be notified immediately of any change for the activity. These notifications are delayed by one hour in case an instructor makes additional changes, which prevents you from being spammed by multiple notifications in a short amount of time.
- Select the Clock icon to be notified daily of any change for the activity.
- Select the Calendar icon to be notified weekly of any change for the activity.
- Select the Remove icon to remove the notification preference so you won’t be notified of any change for the activity.