EMU Resources / Pro Tips / December 2, 2015

Some FAQs about CAPS

CAPS, or Counseling and Psychological Services is available to all students on campus and is conveniently located in the Snow Health Center.

  1. What is counseling?

    Counseling—or psychotherapy—is a professional relationship with a therapist to help you with personal problems. The counseling relationship differs from both social friendships and traditional patient-doctor relationships. Rather than giving you specific advice, counselors serve as skilled listeners who help you clarify goals, work through issues, and explore feelings.  Ultimately, psychotherapy helps you deal more effectively with your problems.

  2. Isn’t it better for me to solve problems on my own?

    A counselor doesn’t solve your problems for you. Rather, he or she helps you clarify issues so you can solve problems on your own. The goal of counseling is to make you more self-sufficient, not more dependent.

  3. But I’m not crazy!

     You don’t have to be severely disturbed to speak with a counselor. On the contrary, it’s a sign of health to recognize when you have a problem and to seek help for it.

  4. Who will I see if I come to Counseling and Psychological Services?

    Professional staff are licensed psychologists, social workers, and counselors. Graduate student counselors from the Departments of Psychology, Social Work, and Leadership and Counseling also provide services under the supervision of professional staff.

  5. What kind of problems do students come to counseling for?

    Students encounter many problems during college years and find support from friends, relatives, and EMU staff and faculty. Counseling and Psychological Services can help when concerns last too long, when the problem interferes with relationships, school or work, and when problems are complicated and are better handled by trained professionals.

  6. Who can be seen for counseling?
    • All currently-enrolled EMU students
    • Faculty and staff can be seen for brief consultation in person or by phone
  7. When can I see a counselor?
    • Appointments are available Monday-Friday 8:00a.m. to 5:00p.m.
  8. Is there a charge for the services?

    No. Services for counseling are provided to registered students at no cost.

  9. What if I have an emergency?
    • Emergency support is available for students in crisis (e.g., following a sexual assault or serious suicidal thoughts).
    • Between the hours of 8:00a.m. and 5:00p.m., come into Counseling and Psychological Services and tell the front desk that you are having an emergency. The next available counselor will talk to you.
    • After 5:00 p.m., you can reach our after-hours crisis line by calling the main CAPS phone number.  You can also call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1.800.273.TALK(8255) or go to your local emergency department.
    • If someone is in immediate danger, call 911.
  10. What can I expect at my first visit to CAPS?

    The first appointment will be scheduled for an hour and a half. First, you will be asked to complete some paperwork. Then, you will meet with a counselor who will ask you some questions regarding your current situation, and past history of treatment. Finally, the counselor will discuss treatment options with you.

  11. Will my counseling records be a part of my academic record?

    All counseling records are confidential and are not part of the academic record.

  12. What if I need longer-term psychotherapy?

    Counseling and Psychological Services staff will refer you to agencies and private psychotherapists in the community. Some agencies see students on a sliding-fee scale, so you are charged only what you can afford to pay. Many EMU students are covered under health insurance which often pays for mental health and substance abuse treatment.

  13. What kind of workshops do you offer?

    We offer workshops on stress, healthy sleep, relationships, and more. For a comprehensive list, see our Group Therapy & Workshops section.

  14. What can I do if I am concerned about a friend?

    You can talk with a therapist by phone or set up a brief appointment to discuss what is happening with your friend and what you think you might be able to do to help. If you think it is a crisis, call immediately.

  15. What self-help resources are available?

    Counseling and Psychological Services has a Recommended Reading List. You might also look at resources in the self-help resources or check out some of the web links.

Tags:  CAPS FAQ Help Mental health Student Life Student Services

0 Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *