The imminent winter season can make it tempting to prepare for hibernation. However, staying active during the colder and darker winter days can help fight negative emotions associated with this season. While it can be hard to find the time to stop by the gym, college students should really make an effort to prioritize active time.
- Research shows that consistent exercise can aid in academic success as it can help adults retain information, grow new brain cells, and stay focused.
- Being active may help adults maintain a positive mood just as much as medication does. The brain releases endorphins when you exercise which makes you feel happy.
- College can be extremely stressful at times. Spending time at the gym or being active outside can reduce stress levels which can lead to better sleep.
- College can also be extremely tiring. Exercise can help increase energy levels and give you the same boost as a cup of coffee.
- Going to the gym is associated higher levels of confidence and cultivating a sense of accomplishment.
- Physical activity is a great way to meet other people.
- Consistently being active will lead to overall long-term health.
Remember, students at Eastern Michigan University have access to the Rec/IM, making it easy to get in a quick workout at any time. Here are a few ways to fit working out into your weekly schedule.
- If you have a long break between classes, pack your gym clothes and stop at the gym. For commuters, it can be useful to keep a pair of gym clothes and shoes in your car to make stopping at the gym while on campus easy.
- Commit to waking up a little earlier a couple days during the week to exercise before classes. Say your classes don’t start until 9:30 AM on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Waking up at 7 AM and completing a 45 minute workout leaves you plenty of time to get ready for your day.
- Find a gym buddy! Having a friend you can work out with will not only hold you accountable, it can also make trips to the gym more enjoyable.
On a final note: please remember that working out should never be about obtaining a certain body type or image. Staying active is about being physically and mentally strong. Never push yourself past your limits and always maintain a balance between working out and resting.