If you plan on living on campus this fall, it’s never too early to start getting ready for the big move. While it seems like the fall semester is still a long ways away, it’ll creep up before we know it. Preparing for dorm life during the summer will help ease some of the stress surrounding starting college and living on your own for the first time. For students living on their own for the first time, some dorm room essentials can come as a surprise. Things like snacks and games are a given. Toilet bowl cleaner, however, might come as an afterthought.
- Cleaning supplies: Make sure to bring toilet bowl cleaner, a disinfectant spray, and rags so you can clean before you start unpacking.
- Extra-Long Sheets: Sheets are expensive! Don’t show up to campus without extra-long twin size sheets.
- Box Fan: Unless you’re living in Wise, the dorms on campus are not air-conditioned. The dorms will be hot in September and will stay that way through October.
- Storage: Coordinate with your roommate to figure out what types of storage you would like to have in the dorm. Unless you lead a very minimalist lifestyle, you’ll likely need more than the closet in the dorm.
- Bathroom Caddies: Most bathrooms in the dorms will be shared by four people. Instead of cluttering your limited bathroom space with products, have everyone keep their stuff in a small basket that can be moved in and out of the bathroom.
- Decorations: Your dorm room should certainly feel like home during the school year. Spend some time with your roommate either buying or making decorations to personalize and invigorate the space.
- Headphones: If you plan on studying in your dorm, make sure to bring a high-quality pair of headphones. This will also allow you to watch Netflix without disturbing your roommate when they’re trying to study.
Just as a reminder, it is important to always communicate with your roommate to make sure you don’t end up with two T.V.’s!