Earning a bachelor’s degree is about so much more than attending class. Completing general education requirements, fulfilling major requirements, and earning LBC credit all go into a degree at Eastern Michigan University. Advisors are here to help you navigate the winding path to commencements. Keep reading to learn about some of the many reasons to see an advisor before registering for the Winter 2018 semester.
- Seeing an advisor can help students save money as some classes can fulfill both major and general education requirements.
- Advisors can help students stay focused and on track to graduate.
- Advisors are a key component in your adjustment to college.
- An advising appointment can help students learn about new and meaningful opportunities on campus.
- Consistently seeing the same advisor will help them learn about your personality, strengths, and weaknesses, which will lead to more personalized advising appointments.
If you know your major, you can make an advising appointment with an advisor in your college to get major or minor-specific advising.
A successful advising appointment requires attentiveness from both the student and the advisor. A great way to prepare for an advising appointment is by running an academic audit. You can check in on your student records at anytime by going to my.emich.edu, clicking “Student,” “Student Records,” and then “UG Degree Audit (u.achieve).” This audit will give you a rundown of all of the courses you’ve taken and the classes you can use to fulfill the rest of your requirements, allowing you to be well-informed and ready to talk about your academics with an advisor.